Alexa belongs to Internet Information and Web Search Industry and it is famous for ranking system it provides for the websites. Certainly it would be useful to know that How Alexa Ranks a website? What is the criteria of Alexa Ranking? Know the related FAQ for Alexa and your Website and decide yourself who to believe.
Alexa Website Ranking System
How does Alexa ranks a Website?
- According to Wikipedia and Other verified resources Alexa Rank is determined by the Alexa toolbar users who visits your website. I would say this is the main method used by Alexa to Rank a website. Also, Alexa tracks user visits only from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.
- In 2008 Alexa confirmed that it uses more data sources except from its toolbar to Rank a website. Here, Other data sources would be the Search Volume to your site, Number of Backlinks, your Website Traffic, Page views per each individual User, Bounce Rate, User time on site and finally reviews written by your website visitors on Alexa.com
- An additional data source for Alexa should be the Alexa Site widget installed on your website.
- Alexa Rank is based on past three months data and It takes enough time to reflect the changes in your website Rank if your domain name is new or previously acquired by someone.
Alexa and Jigsaw Information Services
- Jigsaw is a business directory and Online information service where you can find information about an Online company. Jigsaw provides related website data to Alexa such as website info, Number of Employees and owners of your Website, type of ownership and annual revenue of your website. Hence, listing your website on Jigsaw tends to a strong place on Alexa.
Alexa toolbar: Adware, Trackware and Malware !
- Windows Defender has marked the Alexa toolbar as Malware and It calls Alexa toolbar a Trojan.
- In Early 2007, Symantec classified Alexa toolbar as Trackware. Symantec says that Trackware.Alexa is a program that installs a toolbar and gathers Internet browsing and search information.
- In Early 2005, McAfee listed Alexa toolbar as Adware. McAfee says that Upon execution of this application, Alexa toolbar is installed in Internet Explorer. Search keywords used in Google were transferred to Alexa servers. Also, Alexa sends personal information such as usernames to the Alexa site.
Alexa Response: Is Alexa Toolbar Spyware?
- No, the Alexa Toolbar is not spyware.
- Spyware is defined as hidden software that is installed on your computer without your knowledge. It generally collects your personal information for advertising purposes, and provides you with no value in return. If you would like a more complete definition of the term spyware.
- The Alexa Toolbar is only installed when a user chooses to download it. it is not installed without your knowledge.
- The Toolbar is not hidden, it is prominently displayed at the top of your browser.
- The Alexa Toolbar can be turned off at any time. Turning the Toolbar off prevents any information from being transmitted to us.
- Alexa never attempts to identify individual users, and you are not required to enter any personal information to use the Toolbar.
- If you feel that the features of the Alexa Toolbar are not of value to you, the Toolbar is easily uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel of Windows, or from the Add-On Manager in your web browser.
As I mentioned in this post that you’ve to decide who to believe but personally I believe that Alexa rank is important to get ads from the advertisers and If your website has a good traffic then definitely you will get an impressive rank on Alexa. Also, I do not endorse Alexa toolbar because I believe Microsoft, Symantec and McAfee more than Alexa.