There are dozens of job sites for job seekers, but I still believe LinkedIn is much better than any of them. At LinkedIn you can meet recruiters and professionals. Like a Job Seeker, I always apply for the jobs relevant to my niche and after chatting with some HR/Recruiters and IT professionals on LinkedIn, I found that it really help us to promote our skills and you can really show some real stuffs direct to Recruiters. You may not believe but many recruiters search & recruit professional from LinkedIn.
Better ways to use LinkedIn – Attract Recruiters on LinkedIn
Complete your profile: Do you know users with complete profiles are 40 times more likely to receive opportunities through LinkedIn. Complete your profile doesn’t mean just fill all the areas of your profile. Take some time, think and then fill with caution and make it impressive. First, to achieve 100% profile completeness you need:
- A Display picture on your profile – Use a common picture that you use on other social site.
- Profile summery
- Education details
- A Current position
- Two past positions
- Three recommendations
- Specialties- List as many keywords as possible that are relevant to your roles, capabilities, and interests that will help you turn up on LinkedIn Search
Students and a fresher like me don’t have any current or past positions but still you can make yourself a consultant or you can add a headline like “B.Tech Fresher & Part time web developer.” That’s depend on you that how you add a current position but to achieve 100% profile completeness you must have a current position and two past positions. Don’t worry if you are unable to achieve 100%, try to achieve at least 80%.
Well, that was the first part, in second part you need to build an impressive profile. To do that:
- Keep updating your latest work information
- Write a well-written summary that touches on your experience, interests, and where you’d like to go
- Use professional headlines wherever possible
- Highlight your accomplishments and achievements
- Don’t forget to turn on the checkbox under your contact settings that you are open to career opportunities.
Build better & trusted connections: The more trusted connections you build more endorsements you get. Try to connect as much people you can. To build better network on LinkedIn you can:
- Import your email contacts
- Invite people to join LinkedIn
- Connect to friend of friend
- Join Groups
- Connect to your school and college alumni
- Connect to your mentors
- Connect to acquaintances
Keep one thing in mind that you should only connect to the people who belongs to your interests. In case of acquaintances, it’s a waste to connect to an Airways Professional on your IT oriented LinkedIn network.
Link your Portfolio, Blog and RSS feed: It’s possible that many people didn’t read your profile description but a hyperlink attracts everybody. There is much more possibility that people would like to click on your blog or portfolio link.
Follow Companies: Follow as much companies you can. The benefits of following companies on LinkedIn is:
- Get the early glimpse that what’s new at the company
- Early news of Job openings prevents you from a healthy competition
Get Recommendations: After building better & trusted connections, you can ask the people on your network to recommend you. The more recommendations you get, more impression you build. To get recommendations you can:
- Contact your seniors, mentors, family members on your LinkedIn network and ask for recommendations for your work. It would be a good idea if you personally call your chosen contacts and ask for recommendations.
- You can also contact your acquaintances. I’m sure some of them will not mind it if you have an impressive and updated profile.
- I’ve seen it on LinkedIn, Connect to an unknown person, recommend him. In response he will recommend you too. However, you should only apply this method when you’re not getting recommendations from the people of your LinkedIn network.
Aim to get multiple recommendations for greater credibility. Don’t forget that you need at least three recommendations to achieve profile completeness.
Use LinkedIn Answers: It’s an awesome idea to show your presence. People will notice you if you answer the questions. By answering question related to your nice:
- You can show and prove your knowledge
- People will notice you and maybe you can get requests to connect with people of your interests.
- Answering some questions daily will definitely improve your skills
Use applications: LinkedIn has some good and useful applications to use. You can share a presentation, link your blog(s), display your portfolio, Attach projects that you’ve worked with, show your latest tweets etc. Using some applications will add an extra feature to your profile. These apps may represent you as an advanced user of LinkedIn.
I’m sure if you follow the guidelines listed above, you’ll get better results. Only a smart way can give what you want. Tell me if I missed any good point.None found.