Statistics shows that One in Ten Laptops is stolen or Lost over the Lifetime of each Computer. Few days ago I also lost my Laptop and certainly my Laptop was that One laptop in out of ten Laptops. A stolen or lost laptop costs money as well as lost of your important and personal data. Remember that 99.99% thefts are opportunistic and thieves usually steal Laptops for their resell value rather than your personal data .There are several simple steps that will prevent your Laptop from theft.
Prevent your Laptop from Theft
Top Excuses when we loose our Laptop.
- I was burgled
- I was at a meeting/Conference/Seminar, I turned by back to talk someone and it was gone.. !!
- I was only away for a minute
- I thought it would be safe
- I asked the person next to me and he really looked trustworthy
- I was on my Bed/Desk then it was gone
Protecting your Laptop from Theft
There are some steps you can perform to protect your Laptop from Theft.
- Do not leave your Laptop Unattended anywhere. Also, do not leave the Laptops on the faith of strangers.
- Insist and make it a Disciplinary matter not a coffee holder along with a movie player that can play games and browse internet.
- Keep a hard copy of your Laptop Serial and Model number somewhere else. Also, keep your Laptop bill in safe place because it contains all the serial numbers and other necessary things.
- Make your BIOS password protected. However, it is easy to bypass this safeguard but sometimes it may be useful.
- Encrypt your Personal data: You can use True crypt or any good Folder Lock application to encrypt your personal data. At least, you’ll be ensured that nobody could access your personal data.
- Do not write your Passwords on paper or Post-it note. 65% of the professionals surveyed record their encryption password on a private document to jog their memory and to share the key with other individuals.
- Buy a Laptop lock: Yes, I strongly recommend physical security devices such as Laptop Locks and you should use it every time in open and public areas including offices.
- Use Laptop Tracking Applications: By choosing these kinds of applications at least you can hope that you’ll know the location of laptop. you can refer yourself to Locatemylaptop. It is a free Laptop tracking service.
- Encryption: Don’t ever think that you’ve encrypted your sensitive and personal data then you’ve saved your Laptop from Theft. As I earlier mentioned thieves usually steal Laptops for their resell value rather than your personal data. Encryption can never stop someone walking off with a Laptop.
- You can recover the Data: Basically it happens in Offices. 35% of the companies have never tried to successfully restore from their Backup, So it might not work at all.
- Nobody is using Laptop Locks: Yes I do agree that previous previous physical security devices have been chunky but now a day, everything has changed, Laptop locks are very simple to use and carry.
- Door Security in the Office or Care taker at Home: Unless you have a Trustworthy doorman at office and a Caretaker ate home, this approach is non starter.
- It won’t happen to me: Don’t think that, Sometime it happens… !
What to do when your Laptop is Stolen?
- Think of a great excuse (because there is no justifiable reason).
- Spread the word among your friends, colleagues, Facebook, Twitter with an image of your Laptop.
- Report it to the Police (You’ll be amongst others like me who made the same mistake).
- Change all your Passwords. It also includes your ATM Card Pin, Netbanking Password.
- Do not hope that you’ll get your Laptop back.
Image Courtesy: OpenphotoNone found.